The Washington State Growth Management Act (the "GMA" codified in Chapter 36.70A RCW) presents 13 planning goals (RCW 36.70A.020).
Find the development regulations to protect critical areas are found in Title 18 of the Jefferson County Code (JCC), Chapter 18.15 Land Use Districts, Article VI Overlay Districts.
Read about new developments about the Critical Areas Ordinance (CAO).
For more information on the critical areas planning process, contact the Long-Range Planning division.
If you are interested in asking about or applying for a permit for a development proposal, visit the Permit Information and Application Forms page and contact the Development Review Division.
Additionally, the following are links to other sources of information about "best available science" (BAS) and the protection of critical areas:
- State Department of Ecology Shorelands and Environmental Assistance Program
- Wetland science and management
- Channel Migration Zone (CMZ) delineation & management
- WDFW Comprehensive Wildlife Strategy
- Jefferson County Natural Resources
- Washington Shoreline/Coastal Planners Group
- Western Washington Growth Management Hearings Board